* first, a handful of baby spinach leaves,
* next, a spoonful of fresh home-made raw hummus,
* then the Marmande tomato, sliced (I had to share mine with Mr H, but there was plenty!)
* finally a couple of spoonfuls of the Cultured Vegetables I made last week
a drizzle of olive oil completed the dish…. Mmm, just what we wanted!
Dehydrated food is all very well and really does add texture and interest to food, as well as making some things more edible (eg aubergines) but as with everything – in moderation. It would be maybe not dangerous, but certainly unwise to rely too heavily on using the dehydrator, or any other appliance, in making a meal. Sometimes it’s good to just get back to easing fresh food. In fact, our diest should consist mainly of fresh vegetables, so no wonder my body was craving that juicy purple tomato!
The Cultured Vegetables are really delicious. I couldn’t believe it! I thought they would smell or taste a bit ‘off’ but they are soft and sweet. I confess I have always had difficulty with raw cabbage, but this makes it palatable and more easily digested. I recommend it. Easy to make, easy to store (pop the jar in the fridge to slow down the process once fermentation has started) and so delicious to eat!
Originally published on www.pollyskitchen.blogspot.com
- The time is ripe for tomatoes (independent.co.uk)
- Our First Vegetarian Week (visionsofavegan.wordpress.com)